Single-Use Plastic Bans
Given that scientific and economic studies around the world demonstrate that in most cases plastic packaging, plastic shopping bags and some single-use plastics are a better environmental choice when managed properly, bans are not the answer but rather managing them at their end of life is.
Governments and citizens are asking themselves if a ban on single-use plastics would be effective in reducing plastic waste. From our perspective, the answer is no. Bans eliminate choice and can have unforeseen negative environmental consequences. In the case of plastic in consumer goods and packaging, alternatives can have nearly four times the environmental impact.
All packaging and product material choices have impacts that need to be considered and evaluated, preferably through life-cycle assessment (LCA) studies or other science/evidence-based means.
Plastic Bag Bans are unnecessary. Plastic bags are multi-use, recyclable, hygienic, convenient and more environmentally friendly than alternatives. 93% of plastic bags are reused and recycled.
Plastic bags are not single-use bags, but multi-purpose and multi-use. In fact, when it is reused or recyled, the plastic bag is a sustainable solution.
- The plastic bag ban issue is polarizing and controversial across North America.
- Bans are not the answer as plastic bags are multi use, recyclable, environmentally friendly and convenient.
- Bans continues to threaten thousands of jobs in our industry.
- They are not going away any time soon.
Quebec Plastic Bag Bans:
- Jan. 12, 2018 - New Release: The science is clear: the conventional plastic bag is the best for the environment - The industry calls on municipalities to trust science and not to ban bags (currently only available in French, English coming soon) More >
La science est claire : le sac en plastique conventionnel est le meilleur pour l'environnement - L'industrie appelle les municipalités à se fier à la science et à ne pas bannir les sacs plus >
- Get the real facts about plastic bags:
- Apr. 9, 2016 - The plastics industry offers new bags & oppose the ban by mayor Coderre, Le Journal de Montreal More >
- Feb. 11, 2016 - Proposed Brossard bag ban decried by Canadian Plastic Bag Association
- Feb. 4, 2016 - Ban of plastic bags: Brossard's decision based on fiction not facts - The city will face an increase of 700% bag waste and greenhouse gas emissions More >
- Feb. 4, 2016 - Banning plastic bags in Brossard: a choice that is based on outdated data - Quebecers already among the best product stewards in the world because of their commitment to the 3 R's More >
- For updates or to find out how you can get involved, please contact us.
California plastic bag ban 2014:
- Is Litter Control in the Bag?
- California lawmakers pass nation's first plastic bag ban
- California lawmakers give final approval to plastic bag ban