Reports, Studies & Best Practices
Looking for inspiration or time-tested opportunities to strengthen your plastics recycling program? The case studies, reports and information on this page offer ideas that you can consider, customize and implement to recover more and different plastics.
These are studies that CPIA has completed with partners that are similarly committed to increasing recycling. Some of the information is dated, but we are making it available on our website because despite its age, it offers insights and considerations that remain valuable today.
We’re always interested to know about what you’ve done to address issues and create new solutions. Please contact us and let us know!.
Plastics Recycling - General
Reports on Access to Residential Recycling of Plastics by year of publication
Reports on Amount of Post-Consumer Plastic Recycled in Canada
– by year of study (Moore Associates)
- 2015 (published April 2017)
- 2014 (published June 2016)
- Life Cycle Inventory of 100% Postconsumer HDPE and PET
- Recycled Resin From Post-consumer Containers and Packaging, 2010
Material Specific Studies
- Study from Trucost Finds Plastics Reduce Environmental Costs by Nearly 4 Times Compared to Alternatives (2016) >
- Impact of Plastics Packaging on Life Cycle Energy Consumption & Greenhouse Gas Emissions in the United States and Canada 2014
- Analysis of Flexible Film Plastics Packaging Diversion Systems (2013)
- Best Practices Guide for Depot Collection of Polystyrene Cushion Packaging (2008)
- A Microbiological Study of Reusable Grocery Bags (2009)
- Plastic Lumber in Canadian Marine Applications (2003)